April 2023 GMC Call for Bounty Applications - Deadline is April 15th

Bounty

What is the nature of the proposed bounty?

Create a Smartnode addon for Rocketarb that supports arbitrage capture for both new minipool deposits and minipool closes / final distributions.

Must the results of this project be entirely open source (MIT, GPL, Apache, CC BY license or similar)? If not, which parts will not be, why, and under what license will they be published?

Yes, a requirement for this bounty is that the code be submitted as a pull request to GitHub - rocket-pool/smartnode: The CLI package for Rocket Pool smart nodes. .

Benefits - enter N/A where appropriate

If the bounty is successfully completed, how does this help people looking to stake ETH for rETH?

N/A

If the bounty is successfully completed, how does this help rETH holders?

N/A

If the bounty is successfully completed, how does this help people looking to run a Rocket Pool node for the first time?

Rocketarb is a community-created addon made by @ramana that allows node operators to capture arbitrage from the space created in the deposit pool when making a new minipool (assuming there is a significant premium on rETH on the secondary market). This is currently done using third-party tooling that leverage some undocumented features in the Smartnode’s daemon process.

Now that Atlas is imminent and we are able to support it, I’d like to bring Rocketarb directly into the Smartnode as an official addon. This would give new node operators (and old ones) the ability to capture a “bonus” from the rETH price difference between the Rocket Pool contracts and the going market rate, which could be quite significant in some cases - often paying for the entire gas cost associated with creating the minipool.

If the bounty is successfully completed, how does this help people already running a Rocket Pool node?

See above.

If the bounty is successfully completed, how does this help the Rocket Pool community?

N/A

If the bounty is successfully completed, how does this help RPL holders?

N/A

What other non-RPL protocols, DAOs, projects, or individuals, would stand to benefit from the bounty being successfully completed?

N/A

Will the results of the completed bounty be open source?

Yes, they will be required to be open sourced on GitHub - rocket-pool/smartnode: The CLI package for Rocket Pool smart nodes. .

Work and Verification

What steps would be entailed in completing the bounty? Do successful examples of such work exist elsewhere?

Completing the bounty will involve modifying the source code for the Smartnode and submitting a pull request.

How long is the proposed bounty available for? Is it awarded to the first team to successfully claim it, or is it in some way divided among all such successful claims in the proposed availability period?

I will only accept the first satisfactory implementation of the addon that meets all of the criteria listed below.

Who will test any products submitted for claiming the bounty?

Me (JCRTP).

What is the acceptance criteria for awarding of the bounty?

The candidate implementation will be an addon in the Smartnode stack (similar to the Graffiti Wall Writer) that allows both deposits and minipool closure to route via the Rocketarb methodology instead of directly submitting transactions to the Execution client. The Smartnode should check if the addon has been enabled during either process, and prompt the user if they want to use it in the CLI; it should then adjust its behavior accordingly.

Note that this implies it will only be available for Docker and Hybrid mode users; a supplemental standalone binary for Native Mode users with setup instructions is desired, though not required for completion of the bounty.

The addmon should also come with a pull request to our documentation guides repository (GitHub - rocket-pool/docs.rocketpool.net: Rocket Pool Documentation & Guide Hub) with complete and thorough documentation describing its configuration and usage for Docker, Hybrid, and Native Mode (if applicable) users alike.

I will also ask the Rocket Scientists to scrutinize the candidate implementation(s) from a security perspective to ensure the capability does not introduce any attack vectors or vulnerabilities.

Payment

How much RPL is the applicant requesting for successful completion of the bounty?

TBD pending discussion with the rest of the GMC but I’m expecting something in the neighborhood of 50-100 RPL for a complete implementation.

Conflict of Interest

Does the person or persons proposing the bounty have any conflicts of interest to disclose? (Please disclose here if you are a member of the GMC or if any member of the GMC would benefit directly financially from the successful completion of the bounty).

Yes, I’m on the GMC and am a development team member. Incorporating this functionality normally falls under my responsibility. I’m posting this as a way to incentivize the community to contribute in my stead since I believe it’s important (and has been for some time) and I will not be able to complete it in a timely fashion.

Will the applicant, or any protocol or project in which the applicant has a vested interest (other than Rocket Pool), benefit financially if the bounty is successfully completed?

No.

1 Like