April 2023 GMC Call for Grant Applications - Deadline is April 15th

Grants Application

Project: Frontend (“Staking Pond”)

What is the work being proposed?

An open source decentralised website interface to the Rocket Pool protocol, for liquid stakers and node operators.
The following features may be included:

• Mint/burn rETH
    • Using a choice of routers in case the DP is full/empty
  • (Stretch goal 1) View your rETH rewards/profit
  • Confirm withdrawal address
  • Migrate RPL v1 to v2
  • Stake RPL on behalf of a node
  • (Stretch goal 2) Smartnode alternative: register a node, set node timezone, set node withdrawal address, stake RPL, set voting delegate, claim (and optionally restake) rewards, deposit a minipool, etc.

I make no claims about the design quality, only functionality. I would intend to build a minimal design with responsive easy-to-use accessible functionality. Designer contributions would be welcome from additional team members should they wish to join.

Is there any related work this builds off of?

It is similar to https://stake.rocketpool.net, and to some beta versions of https://rocketscan.io. The idea of a decentralised frontend is similar to those of https://liquity.org.

Will the results of this project be entirely open source (MIT, GPL, Apache, CC BY license or similar)? If not, which parts will not be, why, and under what license will they be published?

Yes 100% pure free and open source software. GPL or AGPL as appropriate.

Benefits - enter N/A where appropriate

How does this help people looking to stake ETH for rETH?

It provides a convenient interface for staking, that can be verified by inspection for security and trustworthiness, and run locally for the security-conscious.

How does this help rETH holders?

E.g., if they want to stake more or unstake, see previous answer.

How does this help people looking to run a Rocket Pool node for the first time?

It offers a convenient and verifiable interface for registering their node, although it will need to be documented how to import the node account into the smartnode later if they want to use that.

How does this help people already running a Rocket Pool node?

It offers a convenient and verifiable interface for managing their node.

How does this help the Rocket Pool community?

It grows the community to welcome the security-conscious advocates of free and open source websites.

How does this help RPL holders?

It can help them migrate their tokens in a trustworthy verifiable convenient interface.

What other non-RPL protocols, DAOs, projects, or individuals, would stand to benefit from this grant?

None, unless the website implementation turns out to be reusable in some ways.

Will the resulting project be open source?

Of course. How could it not be?

Team

Who is doing the work?

Ramana. I would welcome team contributors, especially for additional design or testing work.

What is the background of the person(s) doing the work? What experience do they have with such projects in the past?

I made some websites before like games, and I’m working on a dapp at GitHub - xrchz/hodlem: Decentralised Texas Hold'em Poker for Ethereum

What is the breakdown of the proposed work, in terms of milestones and/or deadlines?

The features listed above can each be considered a milestone. There are also basic features like wallet integration to do first.

How is the work being tested? Is testing included in the schedule?

No. Testing, beyond the basics, will be by the community.

How will the work be maintained after delivery?

The grant does not cover maintenance, but I intend to respond to upgrades and add new features as appropriate, and to incorporate improvements or fixes from the community.

Payment and Verification

I propose 250 RPL for the base features and 100 RPL each for the stretch goals. I am very open to negotiation from the GMC on these numbers.

What is the acceptance criteria?

All the functions listed above are usable.

What is the proposed payment schedule for the grant? How much RPL and over what period of time is the applicant requesting?

Whenever is suitable, as long as full payment is received in a timely manner after all features are complete. (Counted separately for stretch goals.)

How will the GMC verify that the work’s deliveries match the proposed cadence?

All development will be in a public git repo.

What alternatives or options have been considered in order to save costs for the proposed project?

None.

Conflict of Interest

Does the person or persons proposing the grant have any conflicts of interest to disclose? (Please disclose here if you are a member of the GMC or if any member of the GMC would benefit directly financially from the grant).

No.

Will the recipient of the grant, or any protocol or project in which the recipient has a vested interest (other than Rocket Pool), benefit financially if the grant is successful?

No.