April 2023 GMC Call for Retrospective Award Applications - Deadline is April 15th

Retrospective Award

Migration Edge Cases

Who is the proposed retrospective award recipient?

@Knoshua

What specific project or work is the retrospective award in recognition of? Please detail what the project or work entailed and the duration over which it took place.

As acknowledged in Discord, knoshua found 2 potential issues in migrating. One could result in loss of accumulated rewards during 16-ETH minipool to LEB8 migration. The second could result in a solo migrator failing a scrub check, which would mean they’d have to exit and rejoin; while no funds are directly lost, it would be inconvenient, cost gas, and have an opportunity cost.

Are the subjects of this award entirely open source (MIT, GPL, Apache, CC BY license or similar)? If not, which parts will not be, why, and under what license will they be published?

N/A

Benefits - enter N/A where appropriate

How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help people looking to stake ETH for rETH?

I will only answer once since the benefit spans groups. Showing a willingness to pay community members for finding issues in our codebases makes for stronger code and safer funds. We should do our best to support this, even if things don’t strictly meet bounty program parameters, and I think retroactive grants give us a vehicle for thanking researchers that have done whitehat work for us.

How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help rETH holders?

See above.

How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help people looking to run a Rocket Pool node for the first time?

See above.

How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help people already running a Rocket Pool node?

See above.

How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given how does this help the Rocket Pool community?

See above.

How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given how does this help RPL holders?

See above.

Payment

This doesn’t strictly meet the requirements for an immuneifi bounty, but I think we can use that to think through scale. Immuneifi has “Contract fails to deliver promised returns, but doesn’t lose value” as “Low”, and I think both would be in that ballpark. While RP doesn’t have “Low” payouts on their bounty program, they have done so before at a rate of $2500. I would suggest a single payment of $2500 covering both of these edge cases.

1 Like