April 2023 GMC Community Discussion of Submitted Applications

As drdoofus mentioned about project overlap:

I confirm there is not much overlap between the two projects. If anything, his project is an extension of what is in development at EVM.

1 Like

I believe the GMC would like to hear community’s input to help them evaluate applications. Here are my personal thoughts. I encourage others so share their opinions as well.

Retros

Rocket Watch deserves at least $70k (it’s what Rocketscan got in the first round). Rocket Watch has been around longer than Rocketscan, it has been open source the whole time (Rocketscan is not) and it was ready for Atlas before Rocketscan and the Rocket Pool subgraph, all the while Invis was not even in the discord.

Rocketarb deserves at least one 16 ETH minipool or 2x 8 ETH minipool worth of rewards if not more. It was highly impactful when we had a node operator shortage. Ramana could have kept it to himself but instead he open sourced it and also spent his time helping people use it.

Knoshua should get rewarded for finding and reporting issues. Not sure what the amount should be but I think it should be more rather than less. We want to encourage others to do the same and a lot of the work was probably just looking at the code finding issues, even if there are no issues to be found, we want people to do this.

Valdorff governance facilitation. He’s been moving governance proposals forward, motivating people to participate in governance as well as generally actively providing support in the general channel. I think he should be rewarded.

ShfRyn’s POAPs are great.

Hodja’s game is fun and I am always looking forward to playing it.

Conference lodging. I don’t think the GMC should pay for conference lodging retroactively (and I paid for the ski lodge).

Thank you to ETH Denver volunteers. I support it (I was at ETH Denver and hung around the booth but didn’t officially volunteer) and the suggested amount seems appropriate.

Fornax smartnode contributions. I think we should pay him $5000 if not more. We want to encourage people to contribute to Smartnode and improve it.

Fornax work in #support. I think the GMC should also award him an additional 145 RPL that he would have received from DAO rewards if he was a Rocket Scientist.

Grants

RocketPhone. I met woh at ETH Denver and saw the phone. I think it’s very valuable from a marketing perspective. I think the GMC should lend funds to cover the minipool ETH & RPL costs and the withdrawal address should be set to GMC and the applicants can keep ETH rewards. Otherwise the project seems to be very costly.

UPS metrics. Seems very useful and worth the 15 RPL.

Staking pond. I love the idea. Liquity has many decentralized frontends and Rocket Pool should follow suit. 250 RPL / $11k for a web page that calls some contract methods seems quite a lot. $1k-$3k for the basic features seems more appropriate.

RocketSplit Withdrawal Contract. Support it.

Twitter spaces. Give them 10 RPL.

RocketProof. Not sure how practically useful this would be (if things are only partially verified) but I think this type of exploratory project is worth funding.

Karma delegate dashboard. I don’t think it’s needed, seems like overkill. I don’t think I’ve seen these people in the community. 400 RPL / $18k can be bette spent elsewhere.

DappLooker. Looks like a spam application. I looked around their existing work and it’s just low effort and below average work.

Rocket Pool University. Not sure how it’s better than docs or why $11k out of $13k needs to spent on building a website when lots of teaching platforms out there.

RocketSafetyRPC. Great idea but not sure how it’s Rocket Pool related. I don’t think the GMC should fund it.

ShfRyn’s POAP designs. His POAPs are great.

StableCore. I didn’t get to be honest. $36k is quite a lot and they can’t even spell Rocket Pool and rETH properly.

Bounties

Improve lst-comparison. Useful and worth the cost.

Internship. Not a fan of calling it an intership and offering $20k/month to young and inexperienced people. You could hire senior engineers for that amount of money in many parts of the world. I don’t think anyone has been awarded $60k for 3 months of work by the GMC, many impactful projects have received much less. But the idea of the GMC hiring someone to work on Rocket Pool full-time is worth exploring I think.

Treegen implementation. Multiple implementations are always good and it prevents the team from arbitrarily making changes to rewards calculations.

Grafana metrics. Seems very useful and worth the cost.

Notifications. There are cases when we had to hunt down node operators on Twitter and elsewhere to make sure their minipools don’t get dissolved which is a bad look for the protocol. This should help in this and other cases.

Rocket Pool staking rewards. I plan to build this for Rocketscan and not claim this bounty but there should other implementations. 50 RPL / $2k is way too low for the complexity of this project. You have to index both EL and CL as well incorporate RP rewards and even generate your own to get more details or have them calendar aligned.

Rocketarb smartnode addon. We should have it and make it as easy as possible to do arbs.

4 Likes

Thanks for your comments!

In regards to Rocket Pool University, you might be correct, admittedly it is hard to pre-gauge the utility of such an endeavor. However, as an insider and someone very knowledgeable about RP, you might be overestimating the educational/informative content that exists that is easily digestible for the community and potential community.

Below is a basic rETH question just today asked by David Hoffman. Trading fields many basic questions of how Rocket Pool works by newcomers and not-so-newcomers alike.

Rocket Pool University aims to put such easy to understand overviews of varying depths in one place. Content made for the masses, not just the experts. Whether in this project or not, we need far more of that than we currently have.

Furthermore, this platform allows other hard to understand items, like how various platforms work with RP, How to improve your efficiency, etc. to coexist in one location in a form meant for any intended target audience. Docs, mediums articles, etc. are often not the preferred format for learning for those not already in the know.