pDAO Budget Definition

This may be out of scope for the current discussion, but I think it would be worthwhile to consider adding funding for the core dev team to the protocol budgeting. While it’s been a bit ambiguous, I think it’s fair to assume that the purpose of the initial RPL allocation for the team was to get the protocol to self-sustaining status. With the upcoming upgrades, we are rapidly approaching that point and I think the team needs to be compensated separately for their continued efforts.

Right now the team receives RPL revenue from their oDAO positions. I’ve seen a bit of debate in different places as to how we should treat the oDAO inflation:

1. oDAO payments should be exclusively to compensate for their role as an oracle, or
  2. oDAO payments should be a way to also reward people advancing Rocket Pool or public goods in the Ethereum space.

Personally, I’m in favor of the first version - we should keep the scope of the oDAO as limited as possible. This will make it easier phase it out once it becomes technically feasible, and it will also allow us to ensure that their incentives are directly aligned toward securing the protocol.

If we are to continue down the path of option #1, I think it would be worthwhile to consider moving some of the oDAO inflation to the pDAO. We could then use the expanded pDAO to compensate the core team and others that are generally advancing the protocol and aligned public goods.

If we are to continue down the path of option #2, we need to consider greatly expanding the oDAO and removing certain members that are not contributing.

Major protocol changes to the oDAO deserve its own thread of discussion so I’ll end it there.

9 Likes