Round 12 - Call For Bounty Applications - Deadline is May 7

Rocket Pool Support Payments

General Information

What is the nature of the proposed bounty?

Provide support for questions posed by Rocket Pool community members in the # support discord channel; questions come largely from Node Operators and those hoping to be Node Operators. Reimbursement to contributors have thus far been done retroactively, which has several weaknesses (for example, not strongly encouraging support due to unknown reimbursement, erratic payments only done when requested by contributors, difficult policing given very long timespan [usually years] of contributions).

Allowing prospective payments allows for both effective budgeting from the DAO, the possibility of increasing payments for critical time periods (for example, bonus payments to encourage more #support contributors around rocketpool v2, LEB rollout, or megapool transition), and quicker feedback to contributors for their efforts.

Why are you writing this bounty proposal?

1. I think #support has been the single most important service that has been offered by the RP community and deserves regular reimbursement.
  2. I think our current retrospective reimbursement is both harder to administer and less effective than a prospective payment structure.

Benefit

<please enter N/A where appropriate>

Group Benefits
Potential rETH holders questions answered, although much of this is done in # general/# trading
rETH holders see above
Potential NOs Huge benefit, both for answering questions and for the assurance that should problems come up, there is an active support structure
NOs see above
Community The community provides support; this bounty will regularize payments. The payments will all go to community members.
RPL holders By creating a budget for # support, the payments will be more regular and we will not have as many unclaimed allocations weighing on our balance sheet

Which other non-RPL protocols, DAOs, projects, or individuals would stand to benefit from the bounty being successfully completed?

Basically, none.

Work

What steps would be entailed in completing the bounty? Do successful examples of such work exist elsewhere? What skillsets or knowledge will be required?

Provide user support in the # support channel of discord, under the following terms:

1. Provide at least 1 hour of work providing #support discord channel in EACH of the three months June-August 2024, as measured by RocketScrape; *alternatively provide a total 15 hours TOTAL over those 3 months.
  2. Within the first week of September 2024 a list of all potential awardees will be produced by GMC.
  3. A two week period will follow where any community member can publicly or privately notify the GMC that a potential awardee was not providing support (for example, was requesting support) or not providing quality support (for example, multiple ineffective messages/farming). *Anyone offering # support can also petition to add their name to the list if they narrowly failed the initial inclusion criteria.
  4. The GMC will investigate the # support record of any questioned potential awardee and designate either 0%, 50%, or 100% based on posts on # support channel. *The 50% level will be for users with approximately 25%-75% effective support messages. Potential awardees receiving 0% or 50% will be considered 0% or 50% for future # support bounties unless they specifically request and are granted re-evaluation.
  5. The “cost” below will be split proportionally amongst all awardees based on time spent as measure by RocketScrape and adjustments based on investigation in (4); payment will be done during the next GMC distribution phase.

Note: No further # support retroactive awards will be considered for this timeframe to # support contributors.

What advice would you give a bounty hunter working on this bounty?

The pot is a fixed amount. If there are people who are not actively helping or should not be providing # support, there should also be self-monitoring to ensure that high quality contributors are not diluted. This will be done on the back-end by GMC oversight, but self-policing is encouraged (if for no other reason than a better experience for support seekers).

• If farming becomes an issue then some degree of whitelisting (support guild) may be needed in the future.

Should the output of this bounty be available under an open source license?

n/a, although rocketscrape should continue to be open source.

Costs

How much do you think the completion of this bounty worth to Rocket Pool (in USD)?

36,000 USD for 3 months.

This works out to about 17 USD/hour for 24/7 coverage, which is a great deal for RP. However, because contributors are doing this on an ad hoc basis, often while doing other things, this will approximate the 90 USD/hr that has been approved previously for # support work by the pDAO (which is, I think, also a reasonable inducement for contributors).

How much work will be needed to verify this bounty has been completed? What skillsets or knowledge will be required?

RocketScrape
GMC investigation by reading support messages of people identified as not offering quality support.

Structure

How would you structure this bounty, and why?

Payments portionally split amongst all awardees based on adjusted hours worked per RocketScrape, as listed above.

Is this bounty repeatable?

This is a pilot of a possible prospective method method of reimbursing. If successful, i think a similar bounty would be released in iterative fashion. There are other ways to pay contributors prospectively, and it may be that other better systems are proposed. I think this systems is very low overhead and ‘good enough’.

Are there any reasonable circumstances under which this bounty should be withdrawn? Should it expire?

Only good for the 3 months in question (expires end of august 2024)

Conflicts of Interest

Does the person or persons proposing the bounty have any conflicts of interest to disclose? (Please disclose here if you are a member of the GMC or if any member of the GMC would benefit directly financially from the successful completion of the bounty).

I am a member of the GMC. I did not talk about this bounty from anyone from the GMC, nor will I vote on it (although being the author I obviously support it).

Will the applicant, or any protocol or project in which the applicant has a vested interest (other than Rocket Pool), benefit financially if the bounty is successfully completed?

I lack the basic knowledge required to offer # support and will not benefit financially.

*significant changes from original post due to feedback noted by asterisks.

2 Likes