Round 7 - GMC Call for Retrospective Awards - Deadline Is December 10

IPFS CID calculator without web3storage dependencies

Who is the proposed retrospective award recipient?

patches.eth

What specific project or work is the retrospective award in recognition of? Please detail what the project or work entailed and the duration over which it took place.

I submitted https://gist.github.com/jshufro/ea077c953db93725c6be554fecb26666 to fornax to be incorporated in smartnode.

This gist demonstrates how to calculate an IPFS CID without actually uploading a file to IPFS, in the same manner that our existing implementation via web3storage works.

It was a blocker for removing web3storage from the stack, which has become a priority for the team since they announced the deprecation of their api.

While I consider this more of a research project, most of the code was copied verbatim into smartnode by fornax here: Remove web3.storage dependency by 0xfornax · Pull Request #414 · rocket-pool/smartnode · GitHub

NB that this PR has not yet been merged, but it is part of the team’s plan for resolving the web3storage dependency, which has an urgent deadline in January. Removing the dependency on their libary wasn’t strictly required to meet the deadline, but it has benefits-

1. fewer external dependencies reduces the attack surface
  2. retired external dependencies are vulnerable to repojacking
  3. it proves that the migration away from web3storage is fully feasible

Are the subjects of this award entirely open source (MIT, GPL, Apache, CC BY license or similar)? If not, which parts will not be, why, and under what license will they be published?

GPLv3

Benefits - enter N/A where appropriate

I’ve removed the table here- Joe and Fornax are the main beneficiaries, with node operators being secondary beneficiaries.

Basically, I took this off their plates.

Payment

How much USD $ is the applicant requesting be awarded to the recipient?

$250

Conflict of Interest

Does the person or persons requesting the retrospective award have any conflicts of interest to disclose? (Please disclose here if you are a member of the GMC or if you have nominated a member of the GMC for this retrospective award).

N/A