An Alternative (and simple) Tokenomics Proposal

Hey Everyone!

I’m hoping to propose an alternative tokenomics approach which is far simpler than a few of the other options that have been discussed here thus far.

It is simple to implement, easy to understand, and also allows Node Operators to earn multiples of the Solo Staking APR.

Introduction

I had a great discussion about my ideas in detail with Waq and Samus here (Rocket Fuel - Evan’s Tokenomics Proposal - Samus’ Feedback) on Rocket Fuel and would highly recommend taking a listen!

Today Rocket Pool only has about 4% of the liquid staking market. Rocket Pool needs to get serious about gaining market share.

However, Rocket Pool is bottle-necked by the ability for its set of Node Operators to mint rETH.

The market has made it clear that the return for Node Operators is not attractive enough, and too heavily reliant on RPL, which is a highly volatile token. The deposit pool has been full for a significant percent of the time since August of last year. Rocket Pool’s largest periods of growth have been when the deposit pool was not full.

rETH is the product that Rocket Pool sells; Rocket Pool should strive so that Node Operators are never the bottle neck. This also has the added benefit of avoiding the drag on APY the deposit pool has on rETH when it is full.

To solve this, my proposal is quite simple and has two parts:

• Continue down the LEB curve while maintaining the 14% commission.

• Reduce the ETH bond for Node Operators - starting with LEB4, then progressing to LEB 1.5s with forced exits.
  • Reduce the RPL minimum bond to 10% of Node Operator ETH

Profitability:

A Node Operator’s commission is derived from the borrowed ETH that comes from rETH depositors. This is the primary source of a Rocket Pool Node Operator’s commission. As the eth_bond is reduced for Node Operators, a Node Operator’s profitability vastly increases.

The following graph is denominated in multiples of solo staker APR.

Notably, at LEB4, a RP NO earns twice as much as a solo staker in pure ETH rewards - before accounting for any RPL inflation.

At LEB1.5 with forced exits, a RP NO would earn 3.85 times as much as a solo staker in pure ETH rewards, without accounting for RPL inflation at all!

Zooming in on this same graph at the LEB4 position:

And also on the LEB1.5 position:

A derivation of the math for the above graphs follows:

We want to know how profitable being a Rocket Pool Node Operator is relative to being a solo staker on a per ETH basis.

So, that would be the Rocket Pool Node Operator returns, per ETH invested, divided by the solo staker returns, per ETH invested.

Let’s start with the denominator, solo staker returns per ETH invested.

For one year’s worth of returns, we have 32 times the yield, but since we want to know what the returns are per ETH, we divide by 32 and are left with the yield. This makes sense, since that is the definition of yield: returns per unit of account.

Next, we want to know how much a Rocket Pool Node Operator earns on a per ETH basis.
To calculate this, it would be the eth_bond provided by the Node Operator times the standard staking yield, plus the yield earned by the borrowed ETH multiplied by the commission rate, where the “borrowed ETH” is just 32 ETH minus the ETH provided by the NO.

However, we want to know how much is earned per ETH invested, so we would divide this by the ETH provided by the Node Operator, which is the eth_bond.

We now have our numerator and our denominator. Dividing our numerator by our denominator, we are left with the following:

Checking our boundary conditions, when the NO eth_bond is 16 ETH, we have:

((32/16) - 1)*0.14 + 1 = 1.14

This is what we expect - we have recovered the 14% commission Rocket Pool Node Operators receive for their 16 ETH bonded minipools.

What about for LEB8s? We have:

((32/8) - 1)*0.14 + 1 = 1.42

Again, this is what we expect - we recover the 42% increased ETH rewards which was used to advertise LEB8s.

How about when the eth_bond is very small, say, 0.01 ETH?

((32/0.01) - 1)*0.14 + 1 = ~ 448

Again, this is what we expect, as per the above graph.

As the eth_bond gets small, the 32/eth_bond term dominates, and the function looks like a 32/x function, where x is our independent variable - the Node Operator’s eth_bond.

Hurdle Rate

Lido’s CSM is advertising at least 50% more returns for Node Operators compared to solo staking. To continue to be relevant in the liquid staking market, Rocket Pool must achieve returns that are more competitive than 1.5x the solo staking yield for its Node Operators,
on a per ETH basis.

As you can see from the above, LEB4 at 14% commission achieves this goal, returning ~ 2x the solo staking return in pure ETH rewards, without accounting for the RPL income from RPL inflation.

Once the protocol gets forced exits, the eth_bond can be reduced to 1.5 ETH, which would increase the ETH denominated yield to 3.85 times the solo staking yield!

Another way to think about the above graph is - on the far right of the graph when eth_bond = 16, it maximizes value accrual for the RPL/ETH ratio.

On the far left of the graph, where we get into LEB range - it maximizes for protocol TVL - while also exposing Node Operators to much more borrowed ETH, and hence ETH denominated revenue.

LEB8 was smack dab in the middle of these two positions - optimizing for neither one.

So what is the tradeoff space that Rocket Pool should be operating in?

Pay Node Operators in ETH by exposing them to more of the ETH yield through borrowed ETH, without overly constraining the size of the Node Operator set. This is the true commission for Node Operators.
If we run out of demand for rETH (this is a long runway, in my opinion) then we reduce the rETH commission from 14% → 10%.

Even at 10% commission for Node Operators, they would still be earning ~ 3x pure ETH rewards compared to solo stakers for LEB1.5s!

Part 2: RPL

The second part of my proposal is to change the RPL collateral requirement from 10% of “borrowed eth”, to 10% of the “eth_bond”, or the ETH brought to the protocol by the Node Operator.

This would represent a reduction in the RPL collateral required for LEB minipools. The reason for this reduction is simple. Node Operators have made it clear that they want to earn ETH, not RPL.

By reducing the Node Operator’s required exposure to RPL, the ETH rewards that I detail above will dominate - making being a Rocket Pool NO far more attractive.

I model what these returns would look like in various RPL performance situations below.

The bottom line is Node Operators would be significantly more profitable in this proposal relative to solo stakers in pure ETH rewards.

So, why RPL at all?

RPL has served, and still would with this proposal, as a “shield” of decentralization for Rocket Pool, to put it a bit dramatically.

RPL would still serve to help keep the protocol decentralized.

This is likely due to ambiguity surrounding legal RPL’s status, and also large corporations’ unwillingness to go that far out on the risk curve by owning RPL, which is a requirement to be a Node Operator.

The result is that quite a significant portion of Rocket Pool’s Node Operator set are home stakers, who have the freedom to invest their own funds however they wish.

The other aspect is governance. RPL still has utility as a governance token.

RPL would retain the same functionality and utility it has today, the only difference is Node Operators would now derive the vast majority of their returns from the commission on borrowed ETH - and not their exposure to RPL.

Would this be negative for the RPL/ETH ratio?

Potentially in the short term, but I do not think so in the long term. Prioritizing TVL growth for the protocol will have a greatly positive effect on the RPL/ETH ratio in the longer term horizon.

Empirically, LDO is worth 5 times as much as RPL in ETH market cap terms. This is likely in part due to holders’ belief that owning LDO is a call option on Lido’s willingness to turn on the fee switch in the future.

The take-away is this: if Rocket Pool had 22% market share - empirically, RPL/ETH ratio would be significantly higher than it is today.

I am not necessarily against turning on the fee switch for RPL - but turning it on today, when the protocol only has 4% of the liquid staking market, would be incredibly pre-mature.

Rocket Pool should instead prioritize TVL growth by maintaining the 14% rETH commission (for now) and lowering the eth_bond for Node Operators, unlocking multiples of pure ETH yield relative to solo staking.

An additional important point is that by turning on the fee switch for RPL, RPL’s valuation would then become sensitive to the ETH staking yield, which will likely continue to compress over time.

The benefit of the proposal that I have detailed above is that it is not sensitive to the staking yield (as long as it remains positive!).

So, what do returns look like for this proposal?

I have put together a model of forward looking returns, denominated in ETH.

I make two assumptions.

The first is that the vanilla ETH staking yield starts at 3.5% and declines to 2% linearly over the next five years, then remains at 2% terminally.

The next assumption I make is that the RPL yield is 8%, which is what it was when I made this tool a year ago, although it has since climbed to 9% today. But to be conservative, I will keep it at 8% for the purposes of the model below.

With that out of the way, modeling is below.

Relative to solo staking, the ETH denominated returns are quite good.

The below scenario is “best case”, where the Node Operator is operating an LEB1.5 and has 0.15 ETH’s worth of RPL staked.

I also assume the RPL/ETH ratio declines by 75% in the first two years of staking.

Despite the RPL/ETH ratio drop, the Node Operator is still significantly more profitable than a solo staker!

(Rocket Pool NO returns in Orange, vanilla Solo staker in blue)

What about if the Node Operator is collateralized at 20%?

Still, the returns are very attractive, even if the RPL/ETH ratio craters by 75%.

The fun thing about this code is that you get to pick the scenario you would like to see and project forwards.

Here is the mathematica code, you can convert it to python using your favorite LLM if you would like: mathematica code

To wrap up:

Rocket Pool should continue down the LEB path by lowering the eth_bond, maintain the 14% commission in order to make being a Rocket Pool Node Operator extremely attractive compared to the Lido CSM, and change the RPL bond requirement to 10% of Node Operator bonded ETH.

~fin~

10 Likes

Frankly, I like this proposal a lot as a patch, but I don’t think it’s a long term fix. I wish I had thought to push for something like this last summer or fall (eg, LEB5s and 1 ETH of RPL per LEB8). I’ve said this a few times, but it bears repeating: our LEB structure was based on explicit beliefs (preserved in RPIPs/assets/rpip-8/2022-08-03 LEB Discord Discussion Summary.pdf at main · rocket-pool/RPIPs · GitHub) that we knew were wrong as of last summer – we should have acted.

That said, I don’t think it’s the right choice today because it’s just a temporary patch. By setting a lower requirement, we are changing the “target” value of RPL. Similar to the current state, we will have that one static threshold – if the market thinks that target is a fair or generous one, we’ll have plenty of NOs, but if the market thinks it’s too low supply will dry up. Similar to the current state, this proposal has no ability to be responsive. It uses a long term static value. If we ever accept someone at 10% bonded ETH and then decide 20% makes more sense – too bad, the 10% folks are still in it. Of the issues brought up in Why Rework Rocket Pool's Tokenomics? | Rocket Pool Improvement Proposals, I believe it addresses the first four points partly-but-not-long-term and the last point is unaddressed.

Less important comment on the fee switch

The fee switch is already on for RPL and has been on the whole time, it’s just quite indirect.

A hypothetical pure ETH variant of our current product has an ROI in units of solo APY of (8 + .14*24)/8 = 1.42. The current product needs to account for RPL (8 + .14*24 + 2.4*expected_yearly_ratio_gain + 2.4*rpl_reward_apy)/10.4. At “maturity” (~all RPL is staked, RPL marketcap is flat), this would be (8 + .14*24 + 2.4*(-.05) + 2.4*(.035)/10.4 = 1.09. That difference in ROI behaves the same as an RPL fee – if we use a 3% commission on the hypothetical ETH-only product we get the same ROI (8 + .03*24)/8 = 1.09, so we can conclude it’s similar to an 11% fee. It’s way less direct ofc, and outside of maturity users also need to decide how they value the RPL exposure (which can be a positive or negative based on perspective). The proposed 10% bonded ETH would map to a ~2.3% fee on LEB8s and significantly less on lower bonds.

Less important commentary on RPL as a 'shield'

The core premise is that RPL is seen as risky. If that’s accurate, it’s probably seen as risky by both big centralized folks and decentralized folks. Insofar as I think someone is likely to be systematically incorrect… I suspect the large institutions are probably better at pricing in risk. At maturity, I’d hope RPL wouldn’t be seen as toxic so this shield wouldn’t work anymore by that time. There could conceivably be some value in even a temporary shield, however.

Perhaps more importantly, this can be worked around. We’ve seen some whale marriages for a while now (capital efficient, partly trusted). We’ve also seen new lending solutions come into being in the last year. Aave (though it isn’t very capital efficient and has liquidations), MYSO (no liquidations, a little less convenient and similarly capital inefficient). Then we have an incoming crop of capital efficient options: rocketlend to simplify making marriages, nodeset planning to make RPL lending trivial, and the team hinting strongly at an OTC deal where they essentially lend RPL to a large ETH-only operator. Couple these ideas with protocol changes that help reduce trust – RPL withdrawal addresses and the incoming execution layer initiated exits. All of these strategies mean it’s quite likely that the shield has been significantly weakened already, and is getting weaker by the month. I don’t think it’s sensible even medium-term to rely on RPL serving as an effective shield.

2024-07-21 02:43 UTC: expanded fee switch section slightly; added RPL shield section

4 Likes

Hey, ib1gymnast, thanks for posting this.

I agree to Valdorff regarding a patch nature of this proposal. If only we could implement LEB4 in a month or two (which I doubt is possible) I’d argue for a variant of this proposal with RPL requirement a half of the current LEB8s, so that the total RPL staked don’t decrease, while we have more validators and possibly new NOs due to a lower RPL requirement. Then we can wait for Saturn more comfortably perhaps.

2 Likes

As an aside, I’m unclear on whether things should be taken at face value as the full proposal or not. At face value I think you’re suggestion boils down to the following.

First upgrade:

• 4 ETH bonds
  • Reduce RPL minimum to 10% of bonded ETH

Second upgrade:

• Forced exits
  • 1.5 ETH bonds

This is broken a couple of ways at the second upgrade. 1.5E bonds right out the gate make sock puppet nodes running a single validator to steal MEV extremely lucrative. 1.5E bonds without megapools suffer intensely from gas costs. So while the first upgrade makes some sense to me as a temporary patch (and again, I don’t think that’s the right choice today), the second upgrade seems either quite broken or in need of additional components that haven’t been mentioned.

Valdorff, first, thanks for your comments.

Let me see if I can address each piece one by one.

The first is where you mention “target” value of RPL.

We must maximize Node Operator earnings in ETH.

What I am proposing in my above post is that Rocket Pool should not go down the path of trying to inflate the RPL/ETH ratio by re-directing ETH rewards away from RP Node Operators towards the RPL token. This would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Part of the reason why Rocket Pool is stagnating, in my opinion, is because the pure ETH rewards are not competitive enough, and especially in the face of the Lido CSM. Node Operators want rewards in ETH, not in RPL.

You also mention a need to be “dynamic”.

I disagree. We need to pay Node Operators with as much ETH as possible in order to attract them, this is the fundamental bottle neck. The way we do this is by allowing them to safely borrow more ETH from the protocol. So we should offer the lowest ETH bond to Node Operators that the protocol can safely offer.

I specifically mention LEB1.5s because of your prior work on them and it sounded like you were comfortable with LEB1.5s. I did not intentionally leave out megapools - if we need both megapools and forced exits to get to LEB1.5s, then so be it.

The idea that there needs to be a “market” relationship between Node Operators and rETH holders is flawed, in my opinion.

Node Operators and rETH holders fundamentally want different things. Node Operators want to earn ETH by running nodes, rETH holders want their ETH staked for them so they don’t have to manage running nodes and also for the ability to use their rETH in DeFi.

Bottom line is, we need to pay Rocket Pool Node Operators with as much ETH as we can.

Fee Switch

You mention you believe the “RPL fee switch” is already on, and you base it off of a hypothetical scenario where all RPL is staked and the RPL market cap is flat.

To me, the belief that all RPL would eventually be staked has never made sense and I think is highly unlikely.

RPL inflates at 5% per year (as of right now). So, it would make sense to see the amount of RPL staked such that the RPL yield hovers around 5% above the vanilla ETH staking yield, which is DeFi’s risk free rate. In practice, this is what we have seen.

Node Operators act rationally as a set, and it does not make sense for Node Operators to stake RPL if the yield is less than 5% above the vanilla ETH staking yield, because then you are just getting diluted. As an example, if the ETH staking yield were to hypothetically come down to 1%, we should see the amount of RPL get staked which would correspond to a 6% yield, whatever that comes out to.

So I think the thought experiment you go through here is flawed.

RPL As a Shield

To be completely honest, I am not sure exactly what you are arguing for here in your response. If RPL won’t work as a shield in even the medium term like you mention, I would ask then why the protocol should be investing in the token? It feels like we are creating a Rube-Goldberg machine of directing ETH towards RPL, when Node Operators could just be receiving that ETH in a very direct fashion, as I describe in the above. We should be attracting Node Operators by paying them in ETH with commission on the borrowed ETH.

Clarifying First and Second Upgrades

First upgrade would be:

• 4 ETH bonds
  • Reduce RPL minimum to 10% of bonded ETH

Second upgrade would be:

• Forced exits
  • 1.5 ETH bonds
  • Megapools (if required for LEB1.5)

We need to do whatever it takes to minimize the eth_bond for Node Operators. If that means including megapools, then so be it, I did not intentionally leave it off.

I also only called out LEB4 and LEB1.5 position on the above curve because I knew you had already proposed them and I thought were comfortable with them.

Sub-linear bonding

Lastly, I will also mention that I would not necessarily be opposed to sub-linear bonding, but I would caveat that with if we implement sub-linear bonding, it would only be to introduce a financial incentive for not sybiling the protocol, or sock puppet, as you refer to it.

Last Thought

I think the above proposal is a fundamentally different approach from your proposal and Samus’s (and also 1kx’s) and I think what I propose is not an interim solution, I think it is a better path forwards in the long run.

Financial Incentive

Lastly, if there is any financial incentive for proposals getting accepted (I have heard a rumor that there is one!) I abdicate the full amount to both you and @samus , if by some miracle the community is convinced of what I am saying here.

3 Likes

I really like the relative simplicity of ib1gymnast proposal. Having read through so much of the tokenomics discussion for so long it gives the impression of philosophers arguing over how many angels one can fit on the tip of a needle. Incredibly sophisticated thought processes at work but who has the time or energy to think it through and how many of the RP community really understand it?

When my eyes start glazing over with the complexity of it all a simple solution like this one is a breath of fresh air. More to the point we are constantly losing ground to our opposition while we squabble over an ever declining market share.

ib1gymnast proposal can be implemented quickly in terms of LEB4’s and LEB1.5 can start as soon as megapools and validator exits are available. More importantly the benefits of LEB4 adoption head off Lido’s CSM and create a pool of new node operators ready for (and therefore qualified and eagerly anticipating) LEB1.5.

In my opinion too much of the current argument has revolved around preserving value for RPL. It can easily be given a yield via the current rewards system so it will always have a value because of that. The voting system allows for plausible formalisation of protocol decentralisation but the value of RPL does not reflect it. In fact our fanaticism about RPL just makes Rocketpool look silly to the real investors who will engage with ETH as a mainstream financial platform.

So I’m all in favour of transforming Rocketpool into a protocol which allows superb ETH returns for a modicum of technical expertise without forcing people to hold RPL to do it. If millions of ETH and rETH floods into our TVL enough node operators will be happy to buy RPL with their profits to support the token price.

3 Likes

Right – this is why I asked “whether things should be taken at face value as the full proposal or not.”

It sounds like the answer is along the lines of ‘no - it may need to include more things, and there would need to be some work done to determine what those things are.’

So… you’re saying that people won’t stake RPL because they’d be getting diluted. But they would hold unstaked RPL which gets diluted more than that? There are no further options about what to do with your RPL that I’m aware of - it’s either held staked or held unstaked. Who are these nonstaking holders in a mature system and why are they holding RPL?

The protocol has the token already. The voters are token holders by definition. Removing the token, or removing the value of the token are both practical nonstarters (regardless of idealized preference). Fwiw, the token does provide value as (a) a revenue source we can control without a 100% direct reliance on current protocol revenue (for use in liquidity mining, grants, etc) and (b) a method of aligning governance (they’re the only group that care about balancing the needs of NOs and rETH).

Fwiw, at the amount you’re talking about in your end state (0.15 ETH worth of RPL per validator), we could be 22% of current validators (231k) with a total of 34.7k ETH worth of RPL. It’s unclear to me why RPL’s market cap would be significantly higher than that (current market cap is 107k ETH). In other words, if your end state is a long term end state and not just a patch, I think it’s quite destructive to RPL value. It sounds like you’re not particularly married to the RPL token or its value; this is fine, but I suspect that RPL holders do care (and all voters are RPL holders).

I am comfortable with them in context. If you remove the bond curve used to avoid making MEV theft attacks devastating, then that ofc changes things. If you remove megapools that make gas palatable, that ofc changes things. It sounds like you’re comfortable adding things back in, which is fair, but it definitely changes the simplicity argument – if it was purely the initial “face value” changes, dev would probably take like a week (though ofc audits are a thing after that).

As a very rough cut on complexity, the rpl.rehab proposal has 7 RPIPs involved, maybe 8 depending on value capture. Your intial proposal might have been equivalent to ~2. Adding back in bond curves and megapools gets you near ~4. 2 more of the rpl.rehab RPIPs are things I think are pretty critical (forced delegate upgrades and protocol upgrade guardrails) – that said, they could be done quite independently of a proposal like yours. So maybe we’re talking 4+2 on this simpler path vs 7 or 8 on the rpl.rehab path. It’s a reduction, but I don’t think it’s as dramatic as it appears at first glance.

I’m not sure I understand this? The current reward system is based on issuance. It reduces the value of all RPL by supply inflation, and then distributes that same amount of value to a subset (the staked folks). It is purely redistribution and cannot generate value.

Are you suggesting that pure goodwill purchases are a trustworthy source of market demand and thus value? Ie, that folks will buy it not as an investment, but more like a “tip” to the protocol or something?

1 Like

Megapools

As I’ve said, if they are required for LEB1.5s, then include them. This is moot.

Mature RPL Staked Market

To continue the discussion of “mature RPL” staked market - again, the RPL staking yield will hover at the vanilla ETH staking yield, plus the inflation amount, which today is 5%.

So at maturity, if for example the ETH staking yield is 2%, then the RPL staking yield would be 7%. This does not correspond to “all RPL will be staked”. This is what is economically rational, and as a set, Node Operators will act rationally. This is also what we have seen empirically. The RPL staking market is already at maturity.

So claiming that “all RPL will be staked” and that it will have a flat market cap is an incorrect assumption to make.

Hey Evan (@ib1gymnast),

Thank you for the proposal and opening up this discussion.

I will evaluate this proposal as I did for the 1kx proposal using the product’s goals:

• Competition
  • TVL
  • Principles
  • RPL Value

To be consistent I will also do this for the rework proposal.

Competition

This proposal lowers the ETH bond requirement for node operators to 4 ETH (and subsequently 1.5 ETH). It keeps the 14% commission, giving all of the yield to node operators. It lowers the RPL bond from 10% of borrowed ETH to 10% of bonded ETH.

By lowering the ETH bond and giving all commission to node operators this proposal competes with Lido on an ETH basis. The numbers I have seen put Lido at 1.46x solo staking yield and this proposal would deliver 1.98x solo staking yield. Crucially, the proposal still delivers a greater yield than Lido CSM even when you take the RPL investment into account.

Lido CSM supports ETH-only node staking. RPL would still be required to node stake with Rocket Pool, consequently there would be greater friction in this regard. RPL is seen as a blocker for many potential node operators that want to become a Rocket Pool node operator. Many of these prospective node operators would not stake with Rocket Pool if they had to stake any amount of RPL. By retaining the RPL bond we may be noncompetitive with Lido CSM with highly aligned Ethereum node operators or larger players. That said, this proposal does improve the situation that we have today by introducing ETH dominated yield - where node operators profitability is less affected by RPL price swings but the RPL bond is an obvious difference between our offering and Lido CSM.

TVL

This proposal reduces the barrier to entry from 10.8 ETH (8 + 2.8) to 4.4 ETH (4 + 0.4) this is certain to increase the node operator supply. By reducing the node operator bond it increases capital efficiency to support more rETH supply. To do this safely, it would need to follow a similar curve to the proposed Bonding Curve RPIP to prevent execution reward stealing.

We would still have to find enough technically proficient node operators that have ETH and are willing to stake RPL albeit with the reduced RPL bond requirement.

Principles

By retaining the RPL collateral requirement the proposal does provide a disincentive for large corporations to capture the Rocket Pool validator set. I wouldn’t say that it is a robust mechanism though and this proposal reduces that effect somewhat. As I raised in the 1kx feedback, if a large corporation does manage to overcome the RPL collateral requirement - it means that they have, by default, captured our governance. If there isn’t an RPL collateral requirement, it is likely governance is not captured and governance can make sure its validator set is acting in the best interest of Ethereum.

From a principles perspective (permissionless, open, decentralised), this proposal is the same as we are today - so this is very positive.

RPL Value

This proposal reduces the amount of RPL required to be a node operator by at least 85% (with 4 ETH bonds but much lower for 1.5 ETH). This proposal keeps RPL inflation at 5% and distributes 70% of the inflation to node operators for staking their RPL.

By reducing the RPL requirement, this proposal cuts RPL’s value proposition without improving/balancing it in another way. The idea is that the increase in TVL will offset this reduction. From my calculations, our TVL would have to increase by at least 6x but more closer to 16x (beyond our self limit) to offset the effect. Speculative demand may temper the values but it is a lot of growth to only get us back to where we are today.

Before CSM, it could be argued that part of RPL’s value was to access additional staking yield, through commission. Post CSM this is no longer the case.

As others have said, RPL inflation rewards are mostly redistribution so they are not as good as ETH rewards from commission. Inflation generally means LPs have an inflation head-wind to remain profitable and so you get liquidity issues. Additionally, the RPL rewards on smaller bond amounts would be quite small and may not even offset gas to claim. I do believe that we should move away from RPL inflation rewards to node operators.

By retaining the RPL collateral requirement this proposal does mean most node operators will be staking RPL and (ideally) engaged in governance.

Conclusion

This proposal improves the situation we have today - a lower RPL bond and ETH dominated yield means node operators would be less affected by RPL price swings. But in a post Lido CSM world it does not eliminate the friction with RPL on our competitiveness with Lido.

I agree that Rocket Pool needs to focus on growth and I acknowledge that the lower RPL bond will attract node operators, but it will come at a cost of RPL value - I do not see the TVL increase offsetting the reduction without augmenting in another way. Additionally, the RPL collateral requirement may hamper TVL growth so reducing the ability to recover value. Currently RPL is seen as friction by many node operators, when we want them to see it as a asset / benefit.

This proposal does ask interesting questions that we need to deal with:

• How do we nurture a validator set of individual node operators as we scale? I believe lowering the barrier to entry and community are key here.
  • How do we deal with compressing ETH yield? Rocket Pool is built on ETH yield so the protocol and RPL are already affected by this.

I just don’t think that RPL is the solution to those problems. I am happy to be corrected and discuss this further.

11 Likes