Interested in ETH staking with Metamask, newbie questions

Hello,
i wanted to stake couple of ETH and found about this Rocket Pool at ethereum dot org/en/staking/pools/#explore-staking-pools

After some time I have found Staking Directly via Rocket Pool | Rocket Pool where i can switch to tab “Preparing on the Ethereum Mainnet” it describes on how to add rETH token to my Metamask wallet and how to use https://stake.rocketpool.net to stake by connect to my wallet.

It is quite complicated, i was hoping to stake more simply without using/trusting any centralized website like stake.rocketpool dot net

Some unanswered questions:

1. why should i trust that centralized site to connect my wallet?
  2. how i will unstake (inside Metamask?) if this centralized site is offline and in case i can unstake, then how can I also stake without this site?
  3. is it worth risking ETH for like 3.5% return while rETH is not risk free? (see beincrypto dot com/learn/rocket-pool-staking/#h-ethereum-staking , paragraph “Are there risks in staking with Rocket Pool?”
  4. app.uniswap dot org/#/swap returns “1 rETH = 1.03619 ETH” while this site returns “1 rETH = 1.06891 ETH (≈0.26% Premium)” so it means that i can get almost 3% more with Rocket pool and less with UniSwap?

Thank you

1 Like

1 - stake.rocketpool.net is run by the core RP dev team, but also you can look at what contract is actually being interacted with
2 - in the end the only thing that matters is going from ETH to rETH to stake; this can be on stake.rocketpool.net, on uniswap wherever. Unstaking can do the same but going back to ETH from rETH.
3 - It’s been around 4.7% since the merge. Whether the risk is worth it is a question for yourself. Most folks on the RP forum will probably tell you rETH makes sense cuz otherwise we wouldn’t be here :stuck_out_tongue:
4 - I’m seeing 1.06917 on uniswap; are you sure you’re trading for rETH (this address)

3 Likes