One time NO launch bonus to reduce rETH queue

We recently parked the Minipool commission at 15%, which has great long term effects, but in the short term it is causing a long line for rETH with the pool sitting at basically 100% full now for a while (new minipools not getting in, as most with the means to do so jumped on the 20% commission before it expired).

Any consideration to a small one-time, locked bonus for new NOs when the queue is >90% full? And would only go to new NOs, not mini pools, so prevent whales from soaking it up.

Something like 50 RPL if you operate the minipool for 2 years. Could be sliding incentive based on rETH demand.

Could also help with NO decentralization by bringing on more small fish NOs.

1 Like

I just hate seeing the rETH queue so packed, and so much demand for the liquid staking token, and the other side of the equation not able to keep up right now. The market wants the product. But I realize that fades if we dilute the APR.

1 Like

A narrative that I am hearing (The Daily Gwei/ Bankless) is that most individuals who are willing and able to stake ETH have done so already and what we are seeing now is institutions piling in for the “internet bond” backing up the validator queue. It is bad for Rocket Pool’s growth to have rETH queue backed up but I am not sure that a one time 20% commission would solve the issue of incentivizing individuals to stake eth (bc I assume most who could have already) and may cause a more perverse incentive going forward where individuals sit on the sidelines and wait for to protocol to do the action again in the future. I am not very informed on the history of what has been discussed here but it would seem like the longer term solutions would be to have lower than 16 ETH requirements for the NO or partner with an institution of some sort to service their customers through RP.

2 Likes

a one-time incentive simply won’t solve the problem. We had the queue at 20% for several weeks without new nodes joining, even with low fees, we still couldn’t drop the total ETH sitting idle in the pool.

The best way to handle this is one of two ways:

1. The proposed method of allowing individuals to do a no-stake, no-bond, or reduced stake/bond node (UEB).
  2. A second pool of ETH/rETH/RPL that automatically launches nodes when ETH in the pool hits certain levels. This could have individual users or it could leverage the cloud providers. (an idea I’m working on writing up)

a one-time fee isn’t really going to attract many new NOs as one previous person had also mentioned that most of the individual stakers have already joined at this point. Unless prices on ETH drop precipitously for a while (allowing new acquisition of high quantities of ETH for staking), we likely won’t see a large influx before the merge, unless we do one of the two above methods. I’m in favor of the first, because the latter would take considerable time and dev hours, which is more costly in terms of a bounty/grant option.