Proposal to fund Bankless sponsorship(s)

In favor! It’s a no-brainer considering Bankless’ reach and - as Marceau mentioned - an excellent proxy for a “return on investment” on this type of marketing spending. We need to give this a try…

1 Like

Yes! An advertisement on Bankless would be amazing. I am not sure if we should focus on NO growth or rETH growth, but anything will help at this point.

Before 6.4ETH minipools we might need more node operators, after 6.4 minipools we can probably fully focus on rETH adoption. But honestly we can already start now with rETH :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I second lilac’s comments.

This is a fundamental shift from focusing singularly on Node Operators as the key constraint to rETH demand being an issue. This has arisen with efforts with trust minimized solutions for Node Operation.

• Bankless sponsorship provides a low effort, if financially costly (compared to what? Unchained?), awareness campaign to potential new rETH holders
    • Suspect the segment would be high human quantity with low average rETH potential
    • Low effort (time and design) allows the team to remain focused on SaaS efforts and for a new CM to have breathing room to work out the strategy
    • Cost ($150k-$200k?) of roughly 30% of a treasury flow* that would need to be allocated for a key quarter (merge)
      • Likely diminishing returns as audience becomes saturated with no strategy to counteract
      • Treasury allocation for marketing is not determined
  • Efforts for engaging the rETH segment for larger institutions/DAOs may be better suited for CM and evangelists
  • Data portion would need CM for site analytics and direct conversions. Indirect can be inferred

I’m not sure it alone will suffice to drive rETH demand to meet the amount of NO supply brought out by the Pawn Shop and upcoming SaaS solutions, but it’s a step.

1 Like

I’m in favor of a Bankless sponsorship. We could try to reach for new rETH stakers AND node operators, but the main thing is that we need more action (I acknowledge the hard work from the team, but there are some easy opportunities that they are ignoring). Even if it’s a small sponsorship, at least we could measure the results.

I vote yes.

Bankless aligns with the values of Rocket Pool and the protocol is in need of marketing to spread the word of decentralized staking. It’s a perfect fit.

I say yea

My only concern is deposit pool filling rapidly then people complaining about ux. Hopefully we can get the 4E minipool upgrade in place soon.

I vote yes and I think it would be worth it.

I pay for the Bankless premium newsletter and I’ve watched almost all of their Bankless episodes on YouTube recently (incl. all their weekly rollups). I don’t read their Discord because it’s too noisy and I am not a fan of what they post on Twitter. But their content on YouTube and newsletters is really good. They’ve also had Rocket Pool on the show twice.

Here are their latest videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/Bankless/videos

In every video, they have a commercial break where there’s a quick presentation of each project narrated by David Hoffman. They don’t make it easy to skip ads with timestamps and I sometimes sit through them. In addition to these midrolls, there are tracking links to each project in the video description and all links are tracking links in their newsletters. So it should be possible to measure how much traffic we’d be getting from Bankless.

I predict that advertising on Bankless would bring greater awareness to Rocket Pool. It would drive small rETH deposits as well as maybe a few dozen node operators and a bunch of new Discord members.

What’s the alternative? I think it beats other places to advertise. The alternative would be to spend this money on many fragmented sites or podcasts while we could reach a relatively large and relevant audience with a single sponsorship.

Most importantly, Rocket Pool would take away attention from Lido which is gaining too much market share already. Lido has been sponsoring Bankless for what feels like many quarters in a row.

4 Likes

Thank you for the proposal @Dondochaka

The pDAO currently has 72,481 RPL in the treasury.

The 2022 Q2 costs for Bankless sponsorship were:

• Bankless Show (full) 18x per month: US$82,800 / month
  • Bankless Show (half) 9x per month: US$41,400 / month

So to book a full quarter of Bankless Shows it would cost the pDAO US$248,400 ($82800x3) or 12,236 RPL (at $20.30 USD/RPL). This is assuming that Bankless have not raised their prices - it is likely they have so the cost will probably be more.

There is considerable interest and support for this initiative. Are people still comfortable with the costs outlined above?

As a core team, we also support this proposal. The Merge is a key time for us and we need to have market exposure. If everyone is comfortable with the expenditure from the pDAO we will make the necessary arrangements.

We cannot guarantee a sponsorship placement as they are hard to get but Bankless being an ODAO member and the fact we are purchasing an entire quarter puts us in a good position.

In other places we are talking about pDAO budgets we will work to put some structure around the expenses to ensure we get the most out of the funds.

20 Likes

I am still definitely in favor

3 Likes

Supportive. :+1:

We should also add-on a blitz campaign for specific targeting during the merge. But perhaps that’s a decision to make in a couple of months. Suggestion/example here: Discord

4 Likes

As NO im In favor too. Just to know,

Is it all paid at once?

3 Likes

A Blitz campaign, as per Q2 costs are US$45k for a two week blitz.

I don’t disagree but we should work hard to get a firm marketing budget set before we outlay any more funds.

5 Likes

I don’t know yet. I will find out more information over the next few days.

3 Likes

yes I am in favor, lets not pass this up;

2 Likes

Supportive! I believe this to be worth the cost.

2 Likes

I support this, and these are extra characters because at least twenty characters are required.

6 Likes

I am still supportive! A few notes:

• When asked in the Rocket Pool Discord server if Bankless would accept RPL (and “will you hodl”), David mentioned that they’ve done it in the past and could discuss internally.
  • @peteris pointed out that these ads come with analytics. Regardless of the outcome, we would gain useful data about what well-targeted marketing funds can do for us in the future.
  • It’s unlikely that Lido would be able to run ads on Bankless if Rocket Pool did.
  • Not only would Bankless be running an ad, but producing one. David emphasized a personal interest in making a great ad. If we ran a CNBC ad, I assume we’d have to pay for producing it separately.
  • Since Bankless offers half campaigns, if we like the opportunity but want to constrain the budget, we have options for reducing what we’re buying.
  • Updated pricing should be announced tomorrow. David has requested an email address (@langers he also mentioned that he has DMed with you).
4 Likes

@Dondochaka I am on the sponsorship email list yes. I will receive and respond to the email when it comes through.

He hasn’t DM’d me but I will reach out and make sure he is expecting our submission.

3 Likes

I don’t know if those numbers were officials, but david was in #trading 2 days ago and reported:

• 36k gets the add of 1/2 the shows
  • 72k / mo gets you on every show.

I am in favor for any marketing push but would like to have a solid plan aligned to make sure we make the best of this opportunity. It might not be a problem, but if we are blocked by the size of the deposit pool after 2 weeks, it might not have been money well spent.

1 Like

It seems expensive, but i support this. Lets do it!

2 Likes