Roman Storm Legal Fundraising

Gx Rocket Pool community

You may have read about the recent arrest of Telegram founder, Pavel Durov, but the case that’ll set a precedent for Telegram and other privacy tools is happening right now: the Tornado Cash trial U.S. v. Storm, scheduled to begin on December 2, 2024.

Roman Storm has been building a strong defense since his arrest a year ago because he understands the grave implications of his trial’s outcome on the software development industry worldwide. But per Roman’s video address he still needs ~$2 million to see this case through trial; otherwise, he risks losing his legal team and facing a guilty verdict.

A breakdown of charges against Roman and the budget outline are accessible via WeWantJusticeDAO.org — the not-for-profit entity dedicated to the legal fundraising campaign:

Donations can be made in USD, Eth, or other currencies:

Please donate or help spread the word!

AlphaGrowth is helping Roman Storm raise funds for his legal efforts. We are asking the community to donate any amount they can to help Roman Storm in his legal efforts to ensure we set up proper precedence globally for developers to not be prosecuted for writing code. We will also be conducting co-marketing campaigns to highlight DAO’s, protocols, and people that have donated to this cause.

I will also post post this to the GMC but wanted to post on the forum to get community feedback and engagement.

Thank you,

From your Sad Broke Director

3 Likes

I very much like the idea of doing a community fundraising effort and then the GMC matching that (not speaking officially as a GMC member). This idea was suggested by Jasper and Invis in Trading.

We could sell a POAP for $50 each, and the GMC could match the total amount raised.

We could add a small incentive to mint the POAP of doing a raffle for $1000 - 5 x $200 prizes.

I did a fundraise for the RPL Benefactor to celebrate the 300th episode of Rocket Fuel. The POAP sale raised over $6000! The GMC could cap the value up to which they match if they choose.

2 Likes

@waqwaqattack this is a great idea! I will also need to see how the DAO will be able to donate. As you can see from the X post below, there are KYC requirements for donating to Roman. I will see what Roman’s team recommends for letting DAO’s donate to the cause.

Selling a POAP is a great idea, you should definitely go ahead with that.

Honestly, and not speaking in my GMC role here, I am not so sure this is the right thing for GMC funding.

2 Likes

Would this be better suited for the IMC or the the pDAO?

IMC only deals with liquidity incentives. pDAO would require a snapshot vote.

I think the GMC is the right venue for your application. What I think Dr Doofus thinks (sorry to put words in his mouth) is that it might be outside of the purview of the GMC too. In that case, they might decline it.

1 Like

Ahh ok, that makes sense, I agree the funds in the GMC should go to things that will directly benefit the RP ecosystem. Happy to write up another proposal and have it go to a snapshot vote.

I mostly agree with doofus here – as a cash-strapped protocol looking to grow, I just don’t think we’re in a position to let it rain for non-RP public goods (yet).

I fully support a poap fundraiser promoted to the community (and maybe other communities) though.

5 Likes

We pov rn. Maybe later

1 Like