Round 11 - GMC Call for Retrospective Applications - Deadline is April 7

This thread is for applications for Rocket Pool’s March 10, 2024 - April 7, 2024 retrospective awards. Please only post retrospective award applications in this thread. If you would like to discuss and/or ask questions about any applications you see in this thread, we ask that you do so in this separate forum thread which has been established for all community discussions related to this round of applications. Only those grant applications that are posted in this thread and timestamped by April 7, 2024 at 23:59 (11:59 PM) UTC will be considered. Any retrospective award applications posted after that deadline will be carried over to the next award period.

This is the expected schedule for round 11:

• Application Period (March 10th - April 7th)
  • Negotiation Period (April 8th - April 22nd)
  • Scoring Deadline (April 23rd)
  • Final Voting Amendments, Discussion and Finalization (April 24th - April 27th)
  • Award Announcement (April 28th)

To guide you in your application, the GMC has established the following goals and the following scoring rubric:

GMC Goals

Grants, bounties, and retrospective awards should make it easier and/or more attractive to do one or more of the following:

• become a node operator

• operate a node, mint rETH

• hold or use rETH

• improve the quality of life for the protocol and its community.

Retrospective Award Rubric

To what extent did the proposed and completed project further the GMC goals?

Note: if the project is ongoing, the retrospective award is given for work completed prior to the current award period, with any future awards for the same project expected to compete in the Grants category and as a separate application.

Retrospective Award Application Template

Please copy paste the template below into a reply. Answer the questions there, feel free to remove or add sections based on relevance.

## Name of Retrospective Award

### Who is the proposed retrospective award recipient?

### What specific project or work is the retrospective award in recognition of? Please detail what the project or work entailed and the duration over which it took place.

### Are the subjects of this award entirely open source ([MIT](https://opensource.org/licenses/MIT), [GPL](https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html), [Apache](https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0), [CC BY](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/) license or similar)? If not, which parts will not be, why, and under what license will they be published?

## Benefit

<please enter N/A where appropriate>

| Group | Benefits |
|---|---|
| Potential rETH holders | How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help people looking to stake ETH for rETH? |
| rETH holders | How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help rETH holders? |
| Potential NOs | How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help people looking to run a Rocket Pool node for the first time? |
| NOs | How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given help people already running a Rocket Pool node? |
| Community |  How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given how does this help the Rocket Pool community? |
| RPL holders |  How did the project or work for which the retrospective award would be given how does this help RPL holders? |

## Costs

### How much USD $ is the applicant requesting be awarded to the recipient?

### Is the applicant requesting RPL or LUSD?

## Conflict of Interest

### Does the person or persons requesting the retrospective award have any conflicts of interest to disclose? (Please disclose here if you are a member of the GMC or if you have nominated a member of the GMC for this retrospective award).

Name of Retrospective Award

Reddit Contributions (Support)

Who is the proposed retrospective award recipient?

dEEtoooo

What specific project or work is the retrospective award in recognition of? Please detail what the project or work entailed and the duration over which it took place.

dEEtoooo has been a massive contributor to the Rocket Pool subreddit.

Based on average response times it appears he is still covering it daily and is quick to respond to all queries helpfully and professionally, often directing users to Discord or other resources.

Here’s a screenshot of some of his contributions:

• Assuming a post takes 15 minutes: 15 minutes * 174 posts = 2,610 minutes (43.5 hours)
  • Assuming a comment takes 5 minutes: 5 minutes * 860 posts = 4,300 minutes (71.67 hours)

$50/hr * roughly 100 hours = $5,000

I’ve included the breakdown above to offer context and a basis for comparison. However, I want to clarify that I don’t believe it’s sufficiently accurate to use the data this way to establish a precedent for compensation.

The data alone doesn’t capture the entirety of his impact, which extends to assisting hundreds of individuals interested in the protocol.

Benefit

Group Benefits
Potential rETH holders, rETH holders, Potential NOs, NOs, Community dEEtoooo has provided overall support, guidance and updates to all facets of the RP ecosystem within Reddit
RPL holders Having a strong presence on different social platforms is vital to a protocol’s success and token value

Costs

How much USD $ is the applicant requesting be awarded to the recipient?

$5,000

Is the applicant requesting RPL or LUSD?

RPL

Conflict of Interest

Does the person or persons requesting the retrospective award have any conflicts of interest to disclose? (Please disclose here if you are a member of the GMC or if you have nominated a member of the GMC for this retrospective award).

I am the GMC administrator. I’ve met dEEtooo once at ETH Denver a year ago, and I haven’t interacted with him outside of that. My decision to create this application stems from numerous mentions of his significant contributions to Rocket Pool on Reddit.

1 Like

Name of Retrospective Award

2023 – 2024 Support Hours

Leighm.eth

What specific project or work is the retrospective award in recognition of? Please detail what the project or work entailed and the duration over which it took place.

This grant is for recognition of my work in the Rocket Pool Support channel, from 2023 to March 31st 2024. My submitted hours are based on the results from the script haloooloolo has written.

Based on the script output, I have been the 3rd most active support individual in 2024, with a total of 72 hours. Total hours I am submitting for this grant is 94 hours. These hours only include work done in the support channel. I am not requesting any recognition for support work done in other channels such as trading, Node operator or Hardware.

Top :person_raising_hand:︱support contributors since 2024-01-01

1. haloooloolo: 165h 6m

2. Patches: 97h 38m

3. Leighm.eth: 72h 48m

Top :person_raising_hand:︱support contributors (all time)

1. Leighm.eth: 94h 38m

Are the subjects of this award entirely open source

All support messages are available for review.

Benefit

Haloooloolo summarized it very well in his grant application last month.

Group Benefits
Potential rETH holders Prospective rETH holders visit the support / general channel for help with navigating the website or ask questions about the reward distribution mechanism.
rETH holders rETH holders benefit from the higher effectiveness of node operators that have been helped in support.
Potential NOs Potential NOs go to support to ask for hardware suggestions, ask about the Smartnode stack or ask other miscellaneous setup questions.
NOs This is the core group for support activity. Most requests involve node maintenance or actively ongoing issues that caused an operator’s node to go offline.
Community Having a strong support channel to rely on is one of the main reasons a potential node operator would join the Rocket Pool community.
RPL holders Mostly NA - indirectly by helping other members of the community and therefore the protocol. Some support requests are about the migration of RPL v1.

Costs

$8460. 94 hours @ $90/h

RPL

Conflict of Interest

None

1 Like

Treasury Work

@vacalaranja

vacalaranja has been the pDAO treasurer outlined in RPIP-10 since November 2022 and has submitted a total of 21 treasury reports to date.

Drafting the treasury report and maintaining spreadsheet updates typically consumes around 2 hours during each rewards period, with additional time dedicated to occasional checks on disbursement accuracy or reaching out to Langers for clarification.

Certain periods presented challenges, notably the initial phase, which demanded more time due to the learning curve and the necessity to establish a new spreadsheet for comprehensive review. This endeavor led to the discovery of minor inconsistencies, resolved over the course of a few months.

Subsequently, difficulties arose after RPIP-10 underwent erroneous percentage value adjustments for the GMC and IMC (08/2023), persisting until their correction (12/2023). During this period, vacalaranja assisted in resolving retrospective payments and meticulously audited transfers, significantly increasing the complexity of bookkeeping tasks.

Furthermore, there were delays in adhering to the schedule for updating pDAO/oDAO shares last month, these delays had a sizable impact on the budget, although they were fixed without significant difficulty by vacalaranja.

Benefit

Group Benefits
Potential rETH holders N/A
rETH holders N/A
Potential NOs N/A
NOs Organizations need a treasurer. It is one of the most essential administrative tasks in a DAO that is probably taken for granted a lot of the time.
Community The treasury reports keep the community up to date.
RPL holders N/A

Costs

$2,550

Based on the information above, I would estimate vacalaranja spend 3 hours per month. The third hour takes into account the 28-day cycle window (17 months becomes 21 reports), and accounts for periods of time where he has to spend a greater deal of time fixing other issues.

17 months * (3 hours * $50/hr) = $2,550

RPL

Conflict of Interest

Does the person or persons requesting the retrospective award have any conflicts of interest to disclose? (Please disclose here if you are a member of the GMC or if you have nominated a member of the GMC for this retrospective award).

As the GMC administrator, I oversee a community of exceptionally modest individuals who may not always seek compensation for their contributions. When I submit these applications, it’s important to note that I haven’t been prompted to do so. Rather, I do it because I’ve identified a community member whom I genuinely believe deserves recognition and compensation for their valuable contributions.

Notice: This message marks the closing of the eleventh (11) round of Rocket Pool retro applications. Any applications submitted after this will not be considered for this round. The GMC will announce the award recipients in a new thread here on the forums around April 26th. The community will then have two weeks to issue any challenges before funds are disbursed. Thank you to all who applied and thank you to everyone who has followed along. Anyone who would like to comment on existing applications is encouraged to do so in this thread.