GMC Nomination Thread

I’d like to nominate @mentor.

1 Like

Thank you for nominating me!
I don’t feel comfortable being in oDAO and GMC, so I have to reject. There are a lot of active and trusted community members who would be a good fit :mechanical_arm:

6 Likes

Came here to say same as Butta. I am already an oDAO member; I should not also be a GMC member. That runs counter to decentralization.

2 Likes

I’d also like to remove myself from consideration.

I am happy to support the GMC in whatever ways I can, but would prefer not to be a voting member at this time

I’d also like to remove myself from consideration.

thanks peteris - just confirming I’m happy to accept the nomination

4 Likes

I appreciate the nomination @peteris! As much as I’d love to be a part of this, I have other commitments at the moment and I’m afraid I won’t have the time to dedicate to this that it deserve so I’ll have to remove myself from consideration at this time.

=== Closing nominations here ===
The list (part 1): @calurduran @waqwaqattack @enkriptix @Wander @ken @Marceau @jort @Invis @fornax @cvh

Nominees: please provide the info requested in RPIP-10 in this thread. I’ll combine it all in a single table later, so please structure as “Alignment statement, conflict statement, identity statement, contribution statement, additional information (optional)”

1 Like

Part 2 of the list (can only tag 10 per post) @objectObject @Pieter @dEEtoo @ramana @Kevster.eth

Part 3 of the list (missed by Val #shame): @mentor @Dondochaka @jcrtp

thanks for the nomination, @peteris ! i’ll continue to be active in the RP community but have too many commitments to be officially involved with the GMC. i’ll withdraw myself from consideration. cc: @Valdorff

1 Like

I guess I’ll post mine first and everyone can learn from my mistakes :sweat_smile:

Alignment Statement

I have two main motivating factors that I believe keep my actions in alignment with the GMC charter. The first is financial. $RPL is my single biggest holding in any financial account, and represents a significant portion of my net worth. As many have documented elsewhere, the success of $RPL as an investment is directly tied to the success in growing RP as a protocol. Grants, bounties, and retrospective awards are a key part of trying to marshal that growth. The second is philosophical. The future of blockchain-based use cases is wide open. Whatever dApps the world ends up developing, I would very much like to see them living in the Ethereum ecosystem. Rocket Pool plays a key role in keeping that ecosystem decentralized and permissionless, and I would like to do what I can to see both RP and Ethereum as a whole continue to grow.

Conflict Statement

I cannot think of any conflicts I would have with the GMC charter, or with the protocol as a whole. The only other cryptocurrency I am invested in is $ETH, and I do occasionally invest in (and play) various blockchain-based video games. All of my crypto-related non-investment activity is in the RP Discord or RP ecosystem.

Identity Statement

When I first started joining crypto Discords I somewhat accidentally doxxed myself by using my very identifying ENS in my username and on Twitter. As such, I’ve just embraced that and have remained fully doxxed since. My name is Danny Fuerstman and I am a 41-year old political science professor living on the Gulf Coast of Florida (please don’t wrench me). A few months ago I had an RP Twitter thread (@ nmorlock42) which I think serves as evidence of the linking of my Discord account with my Twitter identity, which in turn has had both my real life name and my ENS listed on it for some time now.

Contribution Statement

Since I doubt “professional #trading lurker” for the past year counts as a contribution, my major contribution to date has been writing and marshaling RPIP-15, the RPIP that founded the Grants Management Committee, from conception to passage. I had significant help from the community and especially from Valdorff on that one, so I don’t want to claim full credit. But I believe it demonstrates a sincere interest in wanting to see the GMC get off the ground and be successful. I’ve also been involved in governance discussion, both on Discord and on the forum. Finally, I’ve helped various members of the RP community with external relations, including proofreading various documents and helping prep for the Bankless Bullcast.

Additional Information

RPIP-10 allows for additional information, and I believe in general we should be setting a precedent that candidates for these committees also express their thoughts on what they can add to the committee and/or any ideas they believe would guide their work if elected (something like a platform in electoral politics terms).

I very explicitly do not have a technical background so I do not believe my main contribution to the committee would be in my ability to evaluate the technical merits of grants or bounties. But what I do have in spades is experience serving on committees. In my 13 years in academia, I have served on well over 100 committees, both internal to my employer and external within the field. This also includes time on several non-profit boards, including thousands of volunteer hours for one non-profit board in particular (SRMUN, Inc. which stands for Southern Regional Model United Nations).

One thing that you quickly realize from that experience is that for any committee to be successful, there has to be one or more people who are committed to doing the logistical and organizational work necessary to keep the committee organized and moving. It is not fun or sexy, but it is rewarding in its own way. That is very much in my wheelhouse and would be the primary benefit of adding me to the committee. I am not opposed to being the person who does a lot of the behind-the-scenes grunt work to keep things going. I believe that will be particularly important with the GMC as there are many specific deadlines enshrined in RPIP-15 that will require coordination and corralling to regularly meet.

As mentioned above, I do have something of a platform that I am running on. RPIP-15 limits the percentage of award monies going to retrospective awards in any period to no more than 50%. I personally believe, especially in the beginning of the committee’s tenure, that we should be aiming for an even lower percentage. I realize this is somewhat paradoxical, as this moment is the one where we have the most people to recognize for their past contributions. I think there is also wide agreement though, that the next year is a crucial one for growing the protocol and competing with more centralized staking providers, and thus I think we should be targeting as much of our limited grants monies towards projects that will prospectively help that growth. I believe it’s important that the committee be transparent in establishing which retrospective awards are very deserving of funds once they are available, so those people know that their work is appreciated and that they are likely in line to receive an award in future periods. But especially in these early rounds, I would very much like to see the committee focusing on current and future projects, with some limited retrospective awards given out and the promise of more in future rounds.

11 Likes

I’ll withdraw. I’m already on the IMC and I think we should minimize overlap so I’d prioritize myself lower. If (for some reason) we need another signer I’m happy to help but I think y’all have it more than covered with the list above.

1 Like

Thanks for the nomination @peteris :slight_smile:. Hereby my “Nominee information sharing” details, I took most of it from my delegate profile.

Alignment statement

TL;DR: my incentives and ethics are aligned with node operators.

• I have skin in the game as a minipool runner since the launch of Rocket Pool
  • I’m a long-time participant in the Ethereum ecosystem: see GitPOAP profile
  • I value slow but steady technological progress over hyped shilling. I love you #trading but you’re for entertainment mostly
  • I’m not an anon, and I do not hide my opinions and incentives.

Conflict statement

• I’m a minipool validator with a long RPL position at the time of writing.
  • I have talked to Lido representatives about running validators, but am currently not slated to do so.
  • I used to mine ETH but haven’t for years.
  • I work at POAP where worthalter.eth (RPL whale) is a founder, our professional relationship has no bearing on my positions regarding Rocket Pool or RPL.

Identity statement

My name is mentor.eth online or Mentor IRL, I’m a thoroughly doxed Rocket Pool community member. If you’re curious about my background:

Contribution statement

Within the Rocket Pool community I’ most known for:

10 Likes

Additional Information

Elevator Pitch: I am an active Rocket Pool community member with a vested interest in its success. I am interested in the mechanics of social systems, and I strongly believe that the GMC will play a critical in successfully competing in this space by empowering the unparalleled Rocket Pool community. I am an active member of a committee similar to the GMC for another DAO.

Alignment statement

• RPL represents over 10% of my net worth.
  • I operate Rocket Pool minipools.

I have a strong social interest in the Rocket Pool community as my “home base” in the crypto economy, from education and networking standpoints (as ~19k low-quality messages posted in Discord may suggest).

Conflict statement

• I have no tokens associated with other LSD providers.
  • I have no professional conflicts.
  • I am a Finanical Steward for the EVMavericks DAO (ManeNet DAO).

Identity statement

I am pseudo-doxxed, so I will share some information about myself while avoiding specifics.

I am a professional software engineer in my thirties, living in Texas, US. I grew up in a military family and spent time living in Germany, where I now have family, and half a dozen US states. I have bachelors degrees in computer science, engineering, and mathematics. As a software engineer, I have experience leading teams, where my professional values center around giving individuals’ passions a platform and making decisions with data.

I am one of five Financial Stewards for the EVMavericks DAO, a committee that oversees DAO funds including allocations to grants and bounties (more info here). The GMC and the EVM Stewards are very similar, and I would hope to bring a useful idea or two with me for making the committee run effectively on day one.

Discord: Dondochaka#0244
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/u/dondochaka
Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/thrace_eth
“Public” wallet: parrotfish.eth

Contribution statement

My past contributions to Rocket Pool include:

• Educating the broader Ethereum community members about and promoting Rocket Pool regularly (example)
  • Initiating the Bankless advertising proposal
  • Promoting Rocket Pool within the RP-aligned EVMavericks community, including driving interest in SaaS (NOA) and helping raise $20k from EthStaker donations and matching toward building an Rocket Pool Node Operator onboarding content (under construction)
  • Creating (and collecting) Rocket Pool POAPs!
  • Operating multiple minipools with self-hosted hardware and minority clients to promote a decentralized future
8 Likes

RP GMC Nominee Statement

Alignment statement

I believe that grants, bounties, and retroactive rewards are crucial to developing the Rocket Pool ecosystem further. Rocket Pool can only succeed if its community is empowered and aligned financially. Charity work is admirable but unsustainable, and especially during the first few years, it’s crucial to use pDAO inflation to foster growth.

As an RPL holder and RP node operator, I believe my incentives are heavily aligned with the growth of Rocket Pool through the GMC. I also run a digital asset management firm which uses RP as the backend for our products, and I’m heavily involved with the Node Operator Association, which also plans to use Rocket Pool in its operations.

Conflict Statement

As a founding and core member of the Node Operator Association, I have friendly relationships with several other staking protocols. However, none of these relationships preclude my ability to act in the best interest of RP through the GMC. In general, I believe that the staking landscape has more to gain at this point through cooperation and communication than competition.

Identity Statement

My name is Mike Leach. You can see my professional history on LinkedIn.

I have met and worked with several prominant community members over video calls and in person, including @thomasg, @Marceau, @NickS, @0xmeek, @rphl, @woh, @encryptix, @Xer0, @patricioworthalter, and many more who I’m likely forgetting (sorry!).

Contribution Statement

While I was following the project for a while, I “officially” joined the community in early 2021 to participate in the protocol’s final beta testing. I’ve been a node operator since launch and even made a (minor) contribution to the documentation.

Most of my contributions, however, are to tokenomics and governance research initiatives. I pushed for the reintroduction of RPIPs, authored many of the existing ones like RPIP-4 (snapshot voting), and continue to serve as an RPIP editor.

Additional information (optional)

I believe it’s best to be up front about the fact that I’m a busy man. I enjoy a full schedule with both my own business and contributions to the NOA, and I travel frequently, as well. In practice, however, I generally find time to contribute to RP in between my other responsibilities, and I’m rarely away from the RP community for longer than a few days. If I am chosen for the GMC and my other priorities become too much or another conflict emerges, I’ll happily to step down from the GMC so a more suitable person can take my spot.

Finally, I’ve also submitted my interest in joining the oDAO. If I am accepted into that, I would also step down from the GMC so that we can allow for maximum diversity of participants in RP governance.

9 Likes

Alignment Statement

Before I begin talking about how I am aligned with the Rocket Pool community, I should start by saying the other people who have been nominated are all amazing, and it would be an honor for me to be on the grants and bounties management committee with any of them. Also, thank you to @Dondochaka for nominating me.

So, there’s a joke on Trading that I sold my house and bought RPL. Of course, the truth is more complex than that, but I literally do not own a house now, and I have a pretty sizable bag of RPL. My portfolio is around 80-85% RPL, I am a node operator, and I have been part of the Rocket Pool community on discord for over a year.

On top of that, everyone in the community knows me as the face of Rocket Fuel, a daily YouTube show where I give a summary of everything happening in the Rocket Pool Community. Hundreds of people depend on me to find out what is happening in our small part of the ethereum world. This community is what I think of as my home on the internet. I am as aligned with it as a person can be.

Conflict Statement

I do not have any conflicts. 99.9% of my crypto worth is in RPL and ETH, and I am not on any other committees for any other projects.

Identity Statement

I am semi-doxxed. Everyone in the community knows my face. A little bit of digging will make it easy for you to find my name and information about me. I am happy to share personal information with other committee members.

Before quitting my job this summer, I worked in the education sector for 12 years. I was born and raised in the UK, but I have been living in the US for the last five years. I currently live in the midwest. I’m in my late 30s. I would be one of the less technically inclined people on the GMC, but I am able to figure out how important things are quickly.

Discord: waqwaqattack
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/u/waqwaqattack
Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/waqwaqattack
Wallet: waqwaqattack.eth

Contribution Statement

Since quitting my job, I started to think of ways I could give back to the ethereum ecosystem. In conversation with Marceau, I decided to start Rocket Fuel. I saw there was a huge gap for a product like Rocket Fuel, and I decided to fill it. Since I started the show over two months ago, I have read 99.9% of posts on Trading, and I have spent hundreds of hours curating content and creating videos for the show. This has made me a very well-known and respected member of the community. At every point, I have tried to include the community in the project, and I have distributed three POAPS (with more coming every month!). Being on the GMC would be another way I can give back even more.

5 Likes

Thank you for the nomination @peteris.
I’ve given it some thought, but at this point I can’t spare enough time to contribute meaningfully to the GMC, so I’ll withdraw from consideration.

Glad to see so many, in my view, well-qualified people reponding here. The Rocket Pool community rocks!

Thank you for the nomination Peteris, I accept that nomination even though I don’t consider myself as a great contribution to this forum. I am willing to spend some of my time in here if my role could be valuable

Alignment Statement

I have been a Rocket Pool node operator since launch, minipool operator as soon as I could. Before that I have taken part in various testnets, and still do. The Rocket Pool Discord server feels like my second home and I know a lot of the community members and am usually on top of things happening within the community.

This connection with the community makes me feel qualified to be part of the GMC.

Conflict statement

I don’t hold any significant amount of other LSD tokens or their governance tokens. There’s also no confict of interest in my professional life.

I am part of a multisig that holds RPL gifted by Patricio that is meant to go to community contributors and community projects. Which is probably very similar to the GMC, I don’t really see this as a problem though.

Identity statement

I am 26 years old, live in Belgium and recently graduated from university with a degree in Product Development. My name is Kevin but I prefer Kevster as my online identity.
I’m a curator at POAP during the week, self employed doing random projects in my spare time.

During Devconnect I met a lot of fellow Rocket Pool community members, too many to tag here.

Contribution statement

I haven’t made a lot of contributions for the protocol itself besides some educational videos closely after launch (that are probably irrelevant by now). I did however help create/distribute a lot of the community POAPs, which I think is worth mentioning at least :sweat_smile:
Last year in December I represented Rocket Pool together with @MountainBas in the POAPathon holiday marathon stream. Where we hosted a one hour community introduction and quiz.

7 Likes

Thanks for the nomination Peteris! My contribution to the committee if selected will likely be light-touch, and these statements are no exception:

Alignment

• I care about Rocketpool’s success because I’m invested in it: I have minipools, RPL, and rETH, and hours of #trading under my belt.
  • For GMC particularly, we’ve already got a highly talented community with lots of potential to grow and seem to sometimes be bottlenecked on contributor time. I think the GMC remit is great for this.

Conflict

• Nothing I can think of. I have some wstETH (it was discounted!) (no LDO) but in smaller amounts than rETH. Pretty much all my crypto stuff is on Ethereum, and my job is (so far) outside crypto. Not staking outside of Rocketpool and solo.

Contribution

• node operation, shitposting, sometimes might help a newb
  • wrote the /lsd-price bot and rocketarb (untested) deposit arbitrage tool

Identity

• easy to dox this stuff: I’m ramana.eth (aka xrchz) and live in London.
  • I have some CS degrees. I’m also interested in diversifying our community demographics.
  • I once met object and simpleman, and am happy to meet other RPLers.
8 Likes

Alignment Statement

Like others, the most significant alignment comes from the financial precarity I’d be in if Rocket Pool were not to succeed. I’ve held an ever growing percentage of my portfolio in RPL since reading the RPIT and have seen its teachings become true. I’m a longstanding member of the community, joining during the later beta phase and running several of my own minipools since launch.

As I’ve been part of the community for a while, I have watched how the lack of a reward structure has impacted the community and those who have given their labour to the advancement of the protocol. I am convinced that judicious use of grant funding will be a net positive for the protocol and move it into a new growth phase, and hope this can be done in keeping with the core principles of Ethereum and Rocket Pool as a best-in-class decentralised LSD.

Conflict Statement

I have no significant conflicts with the GMC or Rocket Pool more widely, and have only spent time and invested in the Ethereum ecosystem. Upon looking at my wallets, I did notice that as of writing this I hold 1.92 LDO tokens on Polygon that I gained LPing on beefy.finance in a yield farm incentivised by Lido. Trust that this will be swiftly sold and the $3 enter into the Rocket Pool ecosystem as soon as practical.

Identity Statement

I am and wish to remain pseudonymous, but have approaching a two-year history in the Rocket Pool discord. I’m happy to share some characteristics of my identity that I have already shared - I live in the UK (I will defend the ‘s’ in decentralisation) and I work in the public sector. My work relates to my strong values that work have a wide-reaching impact on people’s wellbeing and I have a particular interest in social justice and work with marginalised communties. I see this as potentially relevant to the grant-giving process, as I wish to do so in a way that is - as much as possible - fair and equitable.

Contribution Statement

My contributions, in ascending order of usefulness, are shitposting in #trading, some low quality memes/puns (I coined Marceaupium), the first European POAP (POEP), and DAO forum contributions.

Perhaps the most relevant contribution to public discource is an early DAO forum post I made around finding a better balance to oDAO funding.

This proposal hopefully demonstrates my leaning towards value-for-money in protocol spending and an earnest attempt to find a fair and reasonable way of rewarding important community contributions, with a mind to its impact in other areas of protocol growth. I’ll endeavour to follow a similar approach in any role I may take in the GMC so that the value in our treasury is maximised.

6 Likes