Request to Submit Coinbase Listing Application

Pamp our bags ser.

But really, getting a CEX listing for RPL means a CL feed is easy and lending protocol integration is waaay easier. rETH is a nonstarter probably as Marceau describes but rETH is already building strong liquidity so a CEX isn’t neccesary.

1 Like

I don’t see why not if there are no listing fees involved.

+1 for RPL @ coinbase. Coinbase listing will make RPL accessible for NO with a low budget.
DEX/transaction fees are too high for the average node operator.

3 Likes

I support this, definitely worth a try.

3 Likes

Adding RPL as an option to centralized exchanges should significantly reduce friction for a new node operator.

If I am interested in running a node as an inexperienced blockchain user, I would be able to purchase the necessary ETH and RPL via a familiar centralized exchange with fiat, then immediately transfer those funds to my node address and start staking.

Contrast that with todays setup where you would need to take ETH out of coinbase to your own wallet, authorize trading with a dex, perform the trade, hope you didn’t underestimate gas fees, then transfer those tokens to your node address. This is trivial for someone already operating regularly in decentralized applications, but can be intimidating on top of learning the smart node stack.

Removing the necessity of figuring out how to safely use decentralized exchanges could make it just a little bit easier to get started as a node operator therefore I strongly support this proposal to apply to add RPL to coinbase.

2 Likes

I fully support this

1 Like

Fully support RPL on coinbase.

1 Like

I support a Coinbase application for RPL

2 Likes

I supporta Coinbase app for RPL!

Hey @Marceau,

A RPL listing application has already been filed with Coinbase. We submitted the application almost 9 months ago and have been taking follow up questions from Coinbase, as recently as, a couple of weeks ago.

Apologies for not informing the community. I guess we wanted it to be a surprise :slight_smile: We are regularly following up with them but the process is somewhat frustrating. We do believe we are making progress with it though.

We haven’t done rETH yet as we wanted it to get some time in the market first but we will proceed with that application also.

13 Likes

It seems to be common practice to engage with a market maker to expedite this process. Some examples of DAOs doing this in the open and/or discussing the pros and cons:

Alchemix
Lido
Olympus
Indexcoop

Some of these have terms for agreements linked as well. It usually involves a loan of tokens to the market maker, sometimes with call options or a fee structure.

Has this route been explored? Can the community be of help in any way?

4 Likes

I stopped DCA’ing into ETH and now DCA only into rETH (usually via crypto dot com → arbitrum → uniswap) but I would buy rETH on Coinbase; it would be so much easier. I would buy RPL on Coinbase. I see the team submitted the app, thats great - would have liked more transparency on it as to not duplicate efforts, but in the end I guess I’m happy this was in the pipeline already.

In the spirit of not duplicating work, I gotta ask - have applications been submitted to other centralized exchanges?

Glad to hear that the app has already been submitted. The protocol will most certainly benefit from listing RPL on CEX’s. Regarding rETH, I agree with Marceau both in that we shouldn’t bother asking Coinbase and we should look for other CEX’s without staking products.

1 Like

Definitely support this. Decreases barriers to entry for acquiring the tokens and at the very least it is some form of marketing via exposure to CB users. Increases credibility imo as well.

100% support this. The exposure and liquidity helps with the legitimacy of the rocketpool project. That will attract more liquidity, more exchanges, and boost the value as more exchanges would need to buy up RPL/rETH, which would drive and lock up more ETH to the minipool, and therefore allow more NOs. Ie. it’s an indirect, but very strong forcing function of growth on the ecosystem.

I believe it would also drive profits from arbitrage and LPs and increase the value of ETH and tightly related assets (like rETH, RPL, stETH, mkr, etc. where value is tied with ETH locked). I could go deeper, but just in general, this is a strong move, IMO.

I wanna bump this message

2 Likes

We have spoken to market-makers and have been open to working with them but none have pursued the opportunity.

From conversations with them, they provide half the market (ETH) and the protocol provides the other half (token). In RPLs case, this may be possible as both the protocol and dev team have RPL holdings. For rETH, it is trickier as neither the protocol nor the dev team have substantial rETH holdings. rETH would probably have to be a community driven arrangement.

Ultimately, it comes down to the terms of the agreement. The community could help by distilling the terms (pros / cons). It would be interesting to see how effective those agreements were as well.

4 Likes

Just Coinbase, at this stage.

I am in support of listing both RPL and rETH on exchanges. Making it easier to DCA into rETH would be great.

Maybe someone can help me understand how this works for rETH and would there be enough liquidity? Currently there are about 200 minipools waiting to be funded, so room to grow. Would Coinbase (or whatever exchange) purchase the rETH directly or is this done via a market maker?